9/11 Victim Identified 12 Years Later

A man killed in the September 11, 2001, attacks in New York has become the 1,638th victim to be identified. The 49-year-old's name was not released at the request of his family. His identification was made possible through the re-testing of remains.

To this day, just 59% of the victims have been identified, mostly through DNA. No trace has been found of the remaining 41 percent, or 1,115 people, according to the medical examiner's office.

Over the years, authorities have recovered 21,906 human remains of which 63 percent have been identified.

Honor the victims and heroes of 9/11!

Moments of silence will mark the 8:46 a.m. impact of American Airlines Flight 11's crash into the north tower and the 9:03 a.m. crash of United Airlines Flight 175 into the World Trade Center's south tower.

The 9/11 attack killed 2,753 people in New York, including 403 police and firefighters.

At the Pentagon, where American Airlines Flight 77 crashed at 9:37 a.m. on September 11, President Obama will speak at a private observance for family members of the 184 people who died there.

In southwestern Pennsylvania, it is only expected to take 18 minutes to lay a wreath and read the names of 40 people, beginning at 9:45 a.m. and ending at 10:03 a.m. That is the time United Airlines Flight 93 crashed into a field near Shanksville.

A bomb sniffing dog named Sirius also died at the WTC.

In 2007, the New York City medical examiner's office began to add people to the official death toll who died of illnesses caused by exposure to dust from the site. The first such victim was a woman who had died in February 2002 from a lung condition. In 2009, a man who died in 2008 was added, and in 2011 a man who died in 2010.

Many more people have died since as a result of exposure to 9/11 dust at Ground Zero.

September 11 memorial events in New York City

Find out where to pay your respects with our guide to September 11 memorial events in NYC, and a guide to 9/11 memorials. By Time Out contributors.

How It Was: Voices of 9/11

Recordings of 9-1-1 calls show how New York City's emergency operators and dispatchers did their jobs on 9/11.


In Memory of Daniel Mark Lewin. The first victim of 9/11.

Daniel Mark Lewin was 31 years old and from Denver, Colorado. Daniel was a passenger on American Airlines Flight 11.

On September 11, 2001, Daniel was traveling on American Airlines Flight 11, heading from Boston to Los Angeles. He was seated in business class in seat 9B, close to 3 hijackers Mohamed Atta, Abdulaziz al-Omari and al Suqami. It was first reported that he had been shot by al Suqami, although this assertion was later changed to a stabbing. According to the 9/11 Commission, he was stabbed by one of the hijackers, probably Satam al Suqami, who was seated directly behind him. This may have occurred when Daniel tried to confront one of the hijackers in front of him, not realising that al Suqami was sitting just behind him.

Daniel was identified as the first victim of the September 11 attacks.

In Memory of Richard Pearlman

Richard Allen Pearlman, a volunteer with the Forest Hills Volunteer Ambulance Corps, was running an errand at 1 Police Plaza in Lower Manhattan when he heard an all-hands call to the World Trade Center, where a plane had struck one of the towers. He teamed up with police nearby, who took him in a cruiser to Ground Zero, where he was seen helping medical personnel and even carrying people out of the burning building.

On Monday September 17, 2001, NewsWeek published a photo that showed Richard wheeling a bloody victim in a stairchair.

The Newsweek magazine photo showed the 18-year-old from Howard Beach wheeling a bloody victim away from the South Tower — one of the last photos of him before his death. The South Tower was hit minutes after a jet flew into the North Tower. He then ran back into the South Tower to help before it collapsed on top of him.

"I'm going to be a famous person one day, Mom. I'm going to help save the world. You'll see." said Richard to his mother, Dori Pearlman.